Monday, November 24, 2008

Strangely enjoyable

It's been awhile since I last went to church (I probably shouldn't be admitting this here). So I had planned to go to church yesterday. But since we got back into town at almost 1am the previous night, I had a late start and attended the later mass at 1pm at a different church. I was 15 minutes early and as I sat down, I noticed the "atmosphere" around me was a little different.
Then mass started and I realized that it was a Spanish mass.
I did not understand a single word except for an occasional "Uno, Dos, Tres". I stood when everyone stood and sat when everyone sat and enjoyed the La bamba beat that was added into conventional churchy music. I thought that was kinda cool. And one guy was doing some sort of a salsa walk as he was walking up the aisle. For a moment, I forgot that I was actually in the U.S.

I left shortly after and spent the rest of the time at their "reflection garden" outside. There was a pond and fountain and stations of the cross that were engraved in stone, a stone altar and a little area which I assume is where they sometimes hold outdoor masses. Very pretty. Very peaceful. I could have sat there for a good hour enjoying the solitude but it was too darn cold so I went home.

4 comments:

Sophie said...

Hehee... I suggest enduring an hour of Dora the Explorer and Go Diego Go every night to brush up on that Spanish!!!!! Elise has picked up quite a bit!

Bern said...

Maybe I should take lessons from Elise :). perhaps she can throw in some French too.

Sophie said...

Sure, and a few words of "toddlerese" ... she sure is looking forward to Souper Salad!!!!

Fiona said...

Hahaha! Bernie, you're so cute and funny! Did you know that my ex-roomie (who's Mexican) never attended mass in English? I guess she could relate to you except she does speak English. :-p