Tuesday, January 23, 2007

How to get a FREE Oil Change

My car is due for an oil change and I discovered this Amazing Auto Center through the weekly ads. They were close by and they had a coupon. So hey, why not, right?

They told me to bring my car in at 9am and I did. The guy there said they did not have a suitable oil filter for my car and he made a call to order it. He told me it should not take long as the company who is going to deliver the oil and oil filter was only 10 minutes away. Mine was the only car there so he worked on it and rotated the tires.

After 30 minutes, he made a call again and rushed for my oil filter.

We wait....

After one hour....

Wait some more...

Guy makes another phone call.

Clock ticks.

Another hour goes by...

Guy makes another phone call. Sounded angry this time.
Puts phone down and apologizes to me for the wait.

Another hour passes by...

Oil filter and engine oil arrives! Finally!!

Oh but wait!! Wrong oil filter!!

Guy cusses and tells them to rush back and get the correct filter.
He tells me these people are ridiculous!

Almost lunch time.
So I called the husband to see if he wants to meet me for lunch. I also needed to get out of that propane smelling hole.
We grab a burger nearby.

Husband drops me off at the Auto Center. I see my car parked out front. Good sign.

Guy hands me my keys and refused to let me pay for the oil change. He apologized for having me wait 3 hours. And I did not even complain about having to wait that long. I know my history of bad luck at any Auto place so I was expecting this, or something even worse. Atleast this guy did not make me change my wiper blades.

I tell him I'll come back next time.

Next time, I MUST remember to bring a book!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Umm.. don't you drive a rather common model of car? I'd wonder about a place that didn't stock my oil filter. Unless of course you drive something exotic like an Aston Martin or Toyota Prius.

Bern said...

Is a Hyundai considered exotic ?

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't think so. A good rule of thumb is whether or not they stock it at Wal-Mart. The Beetle has a very common engine (2.0L) so they stock the filter. My Passat has a rarer V6 engine so it's never stocked. Heck even Auto Zone only keeps 1 filter on hand at a time.

Bern said...

Thanks Brian. This is all new to me!