Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Machine cometh

I've been desiring a sewing machine for some months now. Not that I can sew much of anything really, but it's hard to explain. It's a desire of wanting to sew something, to create something that will blow my mind. Heck, it can even be a pillow case for all I care.
There is an old antique Singer machine in a closet here. It is one solid heavy dependable dude. I've made some needle cases from it, but you know.. it is antique and has its limitations and God do I hate the word Antique! (shudder)
As I do not have a permanent space for it, I have to carry that monster out each time I use it. I was initially sewing on the floor (don't ask me how), and then thankfully, the husband got me a hobby table with wheels for Christmas so that I can move said table out whenever I want to make something, but man, that heavy machine is a beast to carry around. I'll also be standing while I sew. Not comfortable but I ain't complaining.

So the hunt for a sewing machine began a couple of months back. I've been browsing and reading reviews and trying to figure out what I want.
And at the same time, trying to talk myself out from wanting a sewing machine. But the desire turned into an itch that would not go away.

Last Saturday, I saw an ad. for a one-day sale for a Commercial Grade Singer sewing machine. I went to check it out and there was a sales person who could answer all my amateur questions and also do a demo. Nice. But I wasn't willing to pay $399. I needed time to think. And I had 3 hours to do all that thinking and go back to the store before 5pm to get the machine if I decide to.
So I jotted down the model number and went home and spent the next 2 hours on the internet researching.
I read lots of pros and cons. Some people like it, some people don't. So I have to go with my gut feeling.
I found 5 dealers on the internet. As this was a Commercial grade one, they don't list the price so I called each one of them. And lo!!!.. All of them quoted me a price much lower than $399!!!
I finally found one who was willing to throw in a free cutter and who was also willing to give me a discount on a darning foot to do free-hand embroidery. My total came out to $259. (free shipping and no tax). (Thank God for tax rebates)

Happy. (and tap dancing)

Machine is on the way and should arrive this week.

Can't wait! (More tap dancing)

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow! That is a great deal!!
You will have SOOO much fun with your new toy!

And btw...you make needle cases??
Hmm...
I desperately need a new case that will fit all of my seemingly multiplying horde of crochet hooks. The cheap ones I have are falling apart. Wal-Mart.
bleh.
You'll have to email me.

Bern said...

I'll email you, Jessie.