Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Trouble's little excursion

Early Monday morning, we made the trip to Huntersville for Trouble's Radioactive Iodine treatment. Trouble was a little edgy and nervous in the car so I sat in the backseat with him and had him on my lap. He was wide-eyed and curiously looking out of the window, and finally settled down back in his cage and took a nap.

We were greeted by a team of very friendly staff at the hospital. We waited till all the other five cats who were undergoing the same treatment arrived. There was a Moe, Peaches, Kat and I don't remember the other two. The assistant came and spoke briefly to us individually. We said our "goodbyes" to Trouble and told him we'll see him soon and she took Trouble inside to the"examination room" while the cat owners were ushered upstairs for a briefing by the Doctor who was also pleased to answer any questions that we may have.

Each cat will be staying in a "Snyder Kitty condo" in the facility which is separate from the hospital, has his own food (we also brought him 4 cans of wet cat food), and is allowed a "comfort" item (we gave him a fleece blanket), which because of contamination can not be returned.

At 4pm, Dr Tom called and told us Trouble was doing well and he received the therapy treatment on the same day. Because he had involvement of both lobes of the thyroid gland, he needed a 2.66 dose of the ¹³¹I, which is a mid-range.

Today, Nicole, another assistant called and told us Trouble has been eating well (both wet and dry food), drank 1/4 of his water and has normal bowel and urine movement. And she said he is quite a talker.

They will call us again tomorrow to advise us Trouble's radioactive levels. If it's in the safe range, we can go pick him up tomorrow after 4pm.

This is the first time Trouble is away. The house seems kinda strange without him around. This morning, I imagined hearing a sound that could be him vomiting then I remember he is not here.
Out of habit, I still close the gate to my office upstairs when I leave the room, and then realized I need not have to because Trouble is not here. I still hear him meowing, and realized it's just the neighborhood kids playing outside. Turns out I am not the only one who thinks those kids sound like our Trouble.

2 comments:

Sophie said...

Get well soon, Trouble :) I know your Mommy and Daddy miss you lots!

Fiona said...

poor Trouble..but it's nice to be a cat in this day and age, eh?