Tuesday, May 08, 2007

Want to be a Permanent Resident?

For the past several weeks, I have been putting together all the paperwork needed for submission to the USCIS. US laws state that if you’re married for less than two years when you file for permanent resident status, you will only be granted a conditional permanent resident status that expires in two years, assuming you’re approved.
So, I was granted a conditional resident status in 2005. Therefore, I need to submit a petition to the USCIS prior to the expiry date on my Conditional PR for the removal of those conditions, or risk deportation. This petition must be filed during the 90 days before the conditional residence expires. And it is strictly stated that 90 days does not necessarily mean three months. So you have to literally look on the dates on the calendar and COUNT to 90.

So why do they want this petition?

Simply put, the USCIS wants to ensure that you did not enter the country under false pretenses and that you are still married and they want to see evidence that the marriage was entered in good faith. The USCIS suggests you send in “supporting documents providing evidence of the relationship” as part of your application.

Here's what I mailed out yesterday (a total of 58 pages) (Yes, I actually counted)
  • Application fee - $275
  • Form I-751
  • Copy of Permanent Resident Card
  • Copy of the title insurance of our house, showing joint ownership
  • Copy of the Warranty Deed of our house, showing joint ownership
  • Copy of the Deed of Trust of our house, showing joint ownership
  • Copy of the Builder Application for Home Enrollment, showing joint ownership
  • Joint bank account statements
  • Federal tax returns filed jointly for the year 2006
  • State tax returns filed jointly for the year 2006
  • Copy of our health insurance card showing a joint policy
  • Copy of credit cards showing our names using the same number
  • Photographs of ourselves taken on trips and events during the conditional residency period (we submitted 20 prints)
  • Sworn affidavit from Father-in-law and Mother-in-law
  • Sworn affidavit from friends who have known us since we were married (3)
The USCIS also requires you to submit sworn affidavits from people who have known you since your conditional permanent residency status was granted attesting to your relationship, meaning they write letters addressed to the USCIS that are signed and sworn in front of a notary public(in the US) about how in love you are, and when and how often they’ve seen you together as a happily married couple.
We are truly fortunate to have Sophie, Brian, our neighbor Betty and my Father-in-law and Mother-in-law write us those affidavits. They wrote such wonderful words for us and I will definitely save them as keepsakes in my scrapbook. Thank you!

Based on various forums and experiences from different couples, some have been fortunate to receive their approval only two months after submission, and some had to wait for more than a year. I can only keep my fingers crossed and pray that it will come soon so that Jason and I can go to Malaysia in August to attend my cousin's wedding.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck!!! I'm sure you'll have no trouble at all.

Anonymous said...

I was a pleasure to writing that for you guys. Although I'm seriously thinking of posting draft #1 for everyone to read. Needless to say anyone that knows you guys would think it's funny but I doubt the USCIS folks would have thought so.

Ahh.. once again "the man" keeps my comedy under wraps.

Bern said...

Thanks guys! That really meant a LOT to us! Appreciate it heaps!

Brian, I may just post that letter up on my blog one day.. maybe on our 25th anniversary :)That would be cool.

Chris said...

Good luck. A lot of the time the length it takes to be processed depends on whose desk it ends up on. Some people are very efficient and others let it sit there. It's the same for any other type of government paperwork.

Bern said...

True, Chris.
Hope I won't get Jason's "These things can only happen to me" luck on this one.

Sai said...

Hi Bern,

Thank for the detailed blog and wish you good luck for a speedy processing.

I am also collecting the same information for my wife and was wondering if you can do me a huge favor by sharing the letters (affidavits) as samples after masking our private information. This would be great help for me and I would greatly appreciate your shairng.

Thanks in advance.

Bern said...

Sai,
Thanks for your comments.
I can email the samples of affidavits to you if you provide me with your email address.

Good luck to you too!

Sai said...

Oh .... thank you so so much .. you made my day .. i was really struggling to write a good letter ...

please use this email
om.namo.venkatesa@gmail.com teluguindian9@yahoo.com

Thank you so so much again for such a quick response also. Its hard to find people like you .. good luck again.

Sai said...

Thank you so much ... I printed your blog and was reading very closly and noticed that you are planning to travel soon and are eager to get the green card....

please note that I spoke to an USCIS rep. on phone the other day and he mentioned that once you recive the proof from them that you have submitted for removing conditions and that your application is being processed .. that proof will be enough to travel out of country .. some say it even states on that confirmation letter that you are entitled to travel out of country for one year .. please check once you recieve the confirmation letter .. and also just call them to confirm the same ..

good luck and thanx

ollie said...

Hi Bern,
Good luck!!
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
Your blog is a big help on my part Iam gathering all the docs and other stuff needed on the same petition like Sai. The list helps me alot and how to start. But I need a big favor too would it be possible if you can email me the sample letter too. I am very bad in consructing a letter. :D
Thanks in advance!! Ollie

Bern said...

Hi Ollie,
I'll be glad to help.Just provide me with your email address and I can email a sample to you.

ollie said...

thank you so much bern. im so glad i read your blog it helps me and will help more...Goodluck to you & your hubby.. God Bless :)

here's my email:
olliekat@hotmail.com

Anonymous said...

can you post a sample of one of your affidavits from friends/family members? This blog is very helpful for those of us trying to go down the same path!

Bern said...

Because I've received so many requests for a sample of the affidavits, I will post them here. Please bear in mind that these affidavits are based on our opinions and what we think is required and does not guarantee anything.



Monday, April 30, 2007

Re: Affidavit for __________________________


To Whom It May Concern:


I have known _____________since 2001. He and my husband, ____________, worked together at ________.

_________introduced us to _________ (name of applicant) at their engagement party.

_______(name of applicant) has adapted extraordinarily well to life in the US and is very active in her neighborhood activities. She is well-loved by everyone who has the honor to meet her.

Therefore, I hereby swear that ____and _________’s marriage is true, honest, and based on love and mutual respect.


Sincerely,

___________(friend of applicant)

Tel:

Email:

Date of Birth:

Place of Birth

Relationship to Applicant: Friend

Bern said...

You should also submit affidavits sworn to or affirmed by at least 2 people (who are either US citizen or lawful permanent resident) who have known both of you since your conditional residence was granted have personal knowledge of your marriage and relationship. The original affidavit must be submitted and also contain the following information regarding the person making the affidavit: his or her full name and address; date and place of birth; relationship to you and your spouse, if any; and full information and complete details explaining how the person acquired his or her knowledge. Signature must be notarized. Affidavits must be supported by other types of evidence listed above.

Riz said...

Much Mahalo.

God bless! Good luck to you and your husband!

Unknown said...

Hi there,
Just saw you blog while doing a google search for the affidavits which are required for the Green Card renewal. I would greatly appreciate if you can send me a format of the affidavit which your in laws swore for you as I'll be sending in a sworn affidavit from my in laws for my green card renewal. Thanks in advance for you help. My email is sap.shared@gmail.com

You have a good day!