Sunday, August 19, 2007

What to do when nothing fits

The doctor told me that I am officially no longer underweight. So what does this really mean? It means I need a new wardrobe and am trying to convince myself that I am not fat. Just not underweight anymore. But being short and not underweight can somehow make you look fat. Thanks to my very honest and loving family and friends back in Malaysia who have all generously told me that I have gotten fat since they last saw me two years ago. I totally agree. Two years ago, I was stressfully planning a wedding and stressfully getting all the paperwork done for my US Visa and then painfully stressfully saying goodbye to everyone. All that took a toll on my weight and I remember my wedding gown designer telling me that if I keep losing weight each week, he will refuse to keep altering my gown. He is a sweet talented gay guy and and he was genuinely concerned.
The majority of Malaysians are stick thin. When we were in Malaysia two weeks ago, I kept pointing out to Jason at all the thin, small-waisted mini skirted girls. And I would look at myself and tell him, "God, I look so fat beside these girls!"

So this morning, I went looking through my wardrobe and decided to put on some random pants and skirts that I haven't worn for the past two years or more and realized that they don't fit anymore. Since I work from home on most days now and on the days that I go into the office I wear something really casual, I don't wear those corporate suits and pants anymore. Some of these pants and jackets even have a tag on which means it has never been worn and staring at it totally makes me feel guilty. All that wastage! So, if you are a Size 0, do hop into a Goodwill store next week and you might just land yourself with some nice new pants or skirts!

Then I realized, if I were to land myself with an interview next week (not that I have started job hunting or anything but who knows, maybe I'll get to meet the Queen of England) I would have totally no interview clothes ! Eeek!
I am also in-between two sizes which means looking for something that would fit me is not going to be easy.
The solution : Put on some more weight or lose some weight and be underweight again.

All said, I think I'll go get myself a Krispy Kreme fresh hot donut now. That would solve the problem and I'll get to go shopping.

5 comments:

Jason said...

Of course you know that if you hadn't pointed out the "thin, small-waisted mini skirted girls", I would never have noticed them on my own.

The very idea of a 100 lb woman talking about being fat is just silly.

Fiona said...

I agree with Jason! you are NOT fat! You're just right. Malaysian girls -- the "thin, small-waisted mini skirted girls" -- look just plain anorexic and sick.

You're fine! :-)

Bern said...

I guess I'd rather be a walking pear fruit than anorexic:)

eaf said...

And you don't have to gain or lose... just buy a size up and have stuff altered... Don't conform to those fit-models! Fight the power!

Bern said...

Now why didn't I think of that?
I am just too lazy to get them altered right away and it will probably sit in my closet for a few months until I get too fat to wear them.