Thursday, August 30, 2007

What I learned today...

I went to check out an art gallery in Matthews after work today and learned a new word.

Giclee, commonly pronounced "zhee-clay," is an invented name for the process of making fine art prints using ink-jet printing.
The term "giclee print" connotes an elevation in printmaking technology. Images are generated from high resolution digital scans and printed with archival quality inks onto various substrates including canvas, fine art, and photo-base paper. In the giclee process prints are made by spraying more than four million droplets per second onto archival art paper or canvas. The effect is similar to an airbrush technique but much finer. Exact calculations of hue, value and density direct the ink of 8 nozzles which can produce more than 3 million colors of highly saturated, pigment-based ink. The result is a print that can rival the original in color and detail.

So you pay $100 for an artwork instead of $1000 for the original and the print lasts longer too. Pretty cool eh.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Giclee is a common Frenchy-French word :)

Bern said...

Ah I should've asked you first :)

Anonymous said...

"hue, value and density"

Do you know what all that means? I'm still trying to figure it out. ;)
Sometimes I wish my printer had 8 nozzles.. I think all this toner is going to give me black lung.

Ok, /printerrant