Sunday, January 29, 2006

CNY in Charlotte

I was expecting a quiet Chinese New Year this year, not like the ones I used to know back home... lion dances,visiting friends and family, cookies, firecrackers, games, gambling, people wearing red and lots of eating. But my dear hubby did some research and whisked me and mom-in-law off to the Asian Mall downtown for the morning festivities on Saturday. The mall was packed with Asians, some dressed in their traditional costumes, everyone carrying a happy face filled with excitement. We had Vietnamese for lunch and bubble tea. It was good!!
Then we heard hoohahs outside the restaurant and was pleasantly surprised to see a large crowd gathered to watch the lion dance performance. Two lions were dancing outside a row of shops accompanied by loud drums, a court jester lookalike (chinese style) and loud firecrackers. So loud that my eardrums are still numb.
Though I've seen all this before back home, but seeing it in a foreign country brings out a whole new perspective and excitement. I felt like I was seeing this through the eyes of a child.

Later that evening, the whole family went to Tin Tin Buffet for dinner. They had some sort of a special CNY spread at the buffet on top of the usual buffet stuff that consisted of frog legs, quail eggs (which I found out was rare here),fresh oysters, salmon,crab legs, fatt choy(beard-looking seaweed), an assortment of sushi and the best persimmons I ever had. We were all stuffed to the max.

So, I'm all ready to welcome the Year of the Dog and bid farewell to the Year of the Rooster. The Rooster has brought many exciting changes to my life last year. Incidently, Jason was born in the year of the Rooster, so go figure.

"So what can we expect from the upcoming year? The Dog is an ethical and idealistic sign, and the year that bears its name will also bring increased social awareness and interest in society's less powerful members. Any tendencies to take, take, take will be replaced by a widespread sentiment of generosity and selflessness. In general, we will all be imbued with the Dog's keen sense of right and wrong" - by Master Rao

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

kong hei fatt choy!!!! it's my year. woof woof!

so glad you got some kind of celebration there. my cny was filled with cooking, eating and then catching up on sleep on the first day of cny. the weather is simply too hot here - the typical cny weather.

collected a fair bit of ang pow but unfortunately many came with remarks of my singlehood. wonder if i can tell them to stop giving me ang pow since am getting older! quite embarrasing to keep taking.

Bern said...

Nah.. just get whatever Ang Pow while you still can. Trust me, when you are married, you will wish you still have Ang pows!!:)