Sunday, June 04, 2006

Of planting trees..

If you have read Jason's post, you will know we spent the entire Saturday afternoon digging holes in our yard and planting the seven crape myrtle trees. Hard work. Why? Because the ground is mainly composed of solid clay-like substance or rocks. No fun at all.
Now, anyone who knows me well enough will know I do not have green fingers. Even the cactus I tried keeping once died. Even if the tag on the plant says "Very hardy. Low maintenance", it will still die when it encounters my fateful hands.
So now I am very worried. I have been told "You have to water these crape myrtle trees everyday". I tried to tell them "I am capable of killing even cacti". And they try to tell me "Don't worry, crape myrtles are hardy trees".
I am scared of this responsibility. Very scared.
Here's how the trees look like now. I will tell you if they survive in the next few months.

We also spent the afternoon making a flower bed. I bought some packets of flower seeds from the dollar store and I am curious to find out if it will sprout. It is rather absurd to want to try having a flower bed when I know I will see dried dead flowers or plants in the next few weeks or months. And yet, the stubborness in me got the better of me. Or maybe it is hope. Maybe I will get lucky this time. Isn't this what they always say when one plays the lottery?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good luck to you and Jason!

I'm guessing those trees will make it! - Melissa