Sunday, October 08, 2006

Oktoberfest

Saturday night, we went to Waldhorn for Oktoberfest. Every year, The Waldhorn restaurant holds 3 weekends of Oktoberfest festivities where Germans and non-Germans alike converge on food, Oktoberfest beer, fun and a dose of German Gemutlichkeit.

We also invited our neighbors, RC & Betty, to join us. They were dressed in their German costumes and lederhosen. Dinner was plentiful and good. My wonderful husband had also arranged for the waitress to bring out a surprise blackforest cake and a candle on it to celebrate my dad's birthday which falls on Sunday. He was surprised for sure.

After dinner, we adjourned to the big tent outside to join in the festivities. It was really crowded and we shared the table with five crazy young out-of-towners. 3 of them could speak Bahasa Melayu because they spent 7 years in Indonesia. How ironic for us to meet someone who could speak Malay in a tent of thousands of people.

There were lots of dancing and shouting and singing and drinking. My mom earned herself a chicken hat from my mom-in-law for dancing the chicken dance. One of the guys at our table had also coaxed Jason to go dance with my mom.
We had a great time. I felt like I was on vacation in beerland:)

The chicken dance song is still stuck in my head.


No comments: