Monday, April 10, 2006

For the love of Char Siu

Char siu (Chinese BBQ pork)is usually served as one of many dishes in a Chinese main course.
We have been trying to find Char Siu like the ones we love but have been unsuccessful in our quest so far. The ones we get here are usually very bright red in color, probably all artificial coloring. So Jason and I decided we will have to try and make it!
Well, I have never attempted to make Char Siu and never thought I would one day have to make it. We bought some Country Style Pork Ribs and Jason marinated them overnight with a jar of Char Siu sauce . Then I filled a roasting pan with 1/2-inch water and placed a wire rack across the top of the pan and laid the marinated pork on top of the rack. I roasted the pork at intervals of 20 minutes, brushing marinate (+ kicap manis) over the pork each time I turn it over. After an hour or so, its done! We now have our Char Siu! Mission accomplished!

11 comments:

She Speaks said...

looks yummy! How did it taste?

Bern said...

Almost like the real thing!! I was surprised myself!:)

Anonymous said...

wah look very good la!!! you can start a little business now!!! supply the real thing.

Jason said...

Bernie did all the work. All I did was pour sauce in a bag.

Bern said...

He helped me take it out of the oven!! That's the most important thing :)

Fiona said...

looks damn yummy! set la can open char siu rice shop in North Carolina. :-)

Bern said...

Haha.. good suggestion! Can you imagine anyone here would want to enter a restaurant with a hanging roasted pig and a hanging roasted chicken with its' head intact?:))

Anonymous said...

no need to hang - do the boneless version. sure sell like hot cakes. have you eaten the char siew rice at the bunga raya lane? the char siew rice champion lah.

Bern said...

It's been ages since I went to Bunga Raya lane. (eversince Mahkota opened)Those days, when we do go there, we would eat the Wanton Mee and Ice Kacang. Even so, I would order just the Wanton without the Char Siu!

Anonymous said...

i just came back from penang - they eat wantan mee with fried wantan. quite nice surprisingly. i was surprised. give it a try.

Bern said...

Mmmm... now you have started me on a wanton mee craving!!!!!