Saturday, April 15, 2006

Gardening madness

Whether it is Pre-Easter energy or just pure enthusiasm, we spent the entire afternoon trying to transform our yard into a decent piece of land. When we moved into the house last month, the builders had sodded the yard and put dry hay all over. So after much proscastination, and with the Godsend help from my in-laws, we raked up all (or we tried to) the hay and put them into garbage bags and got rid of them. Easier said than done. Firstly, it was windy. Secondly, the more we raked, the more hay we got. And after the fifteenth or thirtieth bag, I felt like I had aged another 50 years. And I tell you, that hay can scratch you! Too bad that it's still Lent season but I was cussing.
Jason rented a rototiller (sp?) to break up the hardened soil so that we can lay the sod on top. And I think that mean machine will make his arms and back hurt tomorrow morning.

We had also gone to Lowes in the morning to buy more sod and garden stuff and I managed to coax the husband to let me buy flowers. I was determined to plant my flower bed and two big planter pots on the main door. So I got me some petunias, daisies, and I cannot remember the names of the rest because my brains are fried now. Well, to those who know me, I am the one capable of killing even the hardiest of all plants, including cacti. So you would think I must be out of my mind to even want to try growing FLOWERS! So we'll see whether or not I still have a flower bed by next month (or next week).

And as I type, I can feel my fingers aching and blisters popping up, and I hear my husband downstairs groaning trying to get up from the sofa. Ok, I know age is catching up, but we are in bad shape!
Well, atleast our yard is almost decent now. You can atleast see some green grass instead of just dried straws.

You would think after all that hard work we will just collapse right after dinner. However, we were assigned to bring a dessert for tomorrow's Easter family lunch and somehow, we got coaxed into making a cheesecake. Insanity! I have never baked a cheesecake in my life and I don't know when was the last time Jason baked one. And yours truly read the recipe wrong, so in the midst of putting all the ingredients together, we had to drive out to the grocery store at 10pm just to buy another block of cream cheese. (More cussing)
We got home, feeling poofed and my superhero husband started whipping up this cheesecake. I only helped with cleaning up the mess he made. Anyways, since we were also celebrating my brother-in-law's (Greg's)birthday tomorrow, I decided to write something on top of the cheesecake. Disaster strikes! Here's our cheesecake ---->
(More cussing)
Well, we tried.

Happy Easter everyone!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

happy easter!!! mass at sfx lasted for 3hours!!!! my stomach was growling so much that i hope my neighbours didn't hear it. hahaha.

if it's any consolation, i bomb at making cheese cake. it really takes a pro. i have not attempted one in years. still trying to work up my courage.

p/s i made laksa for easter lunch with friends ;-)

Bern said...

Ok, now I do feel better after hearing you tell me that you bomb at making cheesecakes :) Because you are the pro in the kitchen!! Believe me, I was so tempted to call you after we saw how our cheesecake turned out..haha
Probably easier to just go out and buy one!Oh how I miss Secret Recipe!

P/S : I want LAKSA!!!!

Fiona said...

Yeah mass was really long -- but I loved the latin hymns! :-)

You girls go it made with the whole cake thing, i'm not even close.

LOVE the house, Bernie! :-D

Bern said...

What cake? haha.. It was a disaster!

Mass here lasted 1 hour 7 mins. 7 mins longer than usual that's all because there was a second collection and they had to sing an extra hymn for communion.

Miss u girls!

A Flea's Life said...

Fio & I almost went unconcious during mass coz it was soooo long, from 10.30pm to 1.30am!!
Anyways, a cake is better than none. I must say that your cheesecake is creative enuff... dun think anyone can duplicate that! Happy Easter cousin & Jason!