Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Not easy finding a stylist who understands my hair

Reading this article triggered an impulse to post.
It took me a good 8 months to find a stylist who understood my hair and not turn me into a mushroom head. Generally, the fibers in the Asian hair is thicker and each strand's diameter is two to three times larger than the strands of a Caucasian. I've tried 4 different stylists in Great Clips , one Jordanian stylist and one Asian stylist. And I always end up coming home with a mushroom head. I was about to give up and accept the fact that I will have to bear with a mushroom head forever or until I go bald.
Then one fateful day, I stumbled upon Hair Cuttery. I had two hours to spare while waiting for Jason and decided to waste some time by getting a haircut. The worst thing that could happen is that I'll walk out with another mushroom head. No big deal. But my stylist, Onnie (I know, what an unusual name) knew exactly what to do with my hair. He textured and thinned my hair just the way I wanted it. And I even got a hairwash ! And then he applied some serum to reduce the frizziness. I walked out with a smile on my face. My search has ended.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you!! How wonderful to find a hairdresser that understands your hair! Not easy finding one in Malaysia either.

Hey post a pic of your new hair cut!
- Melissa

Bern said...

Hey Melissa, you back from your Italy rendezvous?
Well, its not a new haircut at all. I just got a trim with minimal layers. But I am glad I don't wake up feeling like a mop anymore.

eaf said...

Onnie is a guy?!

Bern said...

Yes, he is a guy. His business card says "Onnie Hall".
Perhaps his parents forgot the "L" when they registered his name??

Anonymous said...

Sad but true...it takes a man to understand a woman's hair.

**sigh**

Not only that, but they are usually good looking, well dressed, and gay.

Life is so unfair sometimes ;)

Bern said...

Well, I can't really say if he is good looking because he is probably in his 60s. (Gosh.. I hope he doesn't retire soon and I'll have to find another stylist!!??))
Well dressed - yes.
Gay - probably.