Monday, July 10, 2006

A whole lotta driving

The past two days were hectic. It felt like a weeklong vacation. After the funeral in Sims, we drove to Raleigh and spent some time with Philip and Selena and had dinner in Crazy Fire with Selena and Bert. The sushi chef recognized Jason after 2 whole years. So we had to order a plate of salmon sashimi. Delicious! (really). We do not have any Crazy Fire restaurants in Charlotte, and almost every week, you will hear Jason or myself saying "Ahh, if only we had a Crazy Fire here". It is a Mongolian grill and attempts to tap into every diner's secret desire to play with food. You choose from a selection of raw meats, fresh vegetables and spices. Bring your bowl to the huge grill, and a cook will stir-fry it to perfection (complete with a shouting, banging show) on a big flat roundtable wok.

After dinner, we drove over to Apex to spend some time with Chris and Elizabeth. Unfortunately, their kids were already asleep but we got to take a peek at Marcus. We also had lunch with them the next day and got our first taste of what Dream Dinners looks and taste like. It is indeed an interesting concept. And Elizabeth baked cookies. Yummy!! Athena and Marcus are really cute. (I forgot to take pictures). Looking through Elizabeth's scrapbook has inspired me to continue my scrapbook project again. My scrapbooking project halted last December when I started working. Now I am itching to work on it again. Thanks Elizabeth!!

Before going to Chapel Hill, we decided to stop by a shopping mall. Our initial plans were to go to the big Asian Mall in Raleigh but realised it would be out of the way so we ended up in Southpoint mall. With dropped jaws, I realised that I haven't stepped into a shopping mall since Christmas. Lately, all we have been doing on weekends are grocery shopping or a trip to Home Depot or Lowes. So, withdrawal symptoms hit me big time. But I made a promise to be good and not buy anything. Unfortunately that promise was broken when Jason pointed out to me that Express had a "80% off" sign on their front glass. And I ended up with a pair of white jeans and a blouse. Both for a total of $17. Pretty good eh.

Then we went to Chapel Hill to visit Michael and Emily and their new baby girl, Lucinda. (Again, I forgot to take pictures) Rich was also there. And we had dinner at a Singaporean restaurant before leaving for Charlotte. I am glad Jason got to meet up with all his friends in Raleigh. That always makes him happy because he misses them so. They are a wonderful bunch of friends.

2 comments:

eaf said...

Glad you enjoyed the "Dream Dinner." I wasn't sure since Jason didn't ask for seconds, and that's just not the Jason I once knew... :-)

Bern said...

He's been working on a diet because he's been having too many hamburgers whenever he has to work out of town. No abstinence. Just smaller portions :)