Saturday, May 27, 2006

Adrenaline rush

We went to Paramount Carowinds finally!! It's located on the North Carolina/South Carolina border.
I was a little apprehensive at first, not knowing how I was going to feel since I started on my medication. But oh well, we bought Season passes so if I feel sick, we'll just go on home and come back again another day.

We arrived there on time to catch the Nickelodoen Celebration Parade. I pointed Dora out to Jason so now he knows who Cooper (my 3-year old nephew) gets his "Swiper no swiping" phrases from. Besides SpongeBob and Dora, I do not recognize any other characters in the parade.

Then we stood in line for the Scooby-Doo's haunted mansion ride. I didn't know it was a kiddie ride. I think we must've looked like two big buffalos riding in the mystery machine shooting at ghosts and watching animated props jump up. Cheap thrill.

From there, we graduated onto the 30 year old Thunder Road. The 93-foot tall rollercoaster classic. Since I started getting panic attacks a few months ago, I have been nervous about standing in lines, being in a car or in crowded places. So today, I was taking the plunge and possibly asking for trouble. Jason reassured me that this train ride would just go up a hill and plunge down. No spins, no upside downs, no spiral twists. Ok, I think I can handle that. Besides, what's the point of going to an amusement park and not riding on a rollercoaster, right?
Well, turns out that it wasn't just one hill and one plunge but several high drops. In the process, I lost my scrunchy, my sunglasses ,my cap and my brains. But it was one good adrenaline rush. Needed it. Haven't been on a rollercoaster for 5 years now. And I'm giving myself a pat on my back for not having any panic attacks today.
T'was a Good day.

4 comments:

eaf said...

Good ole Thunder Road. Glad you enjoyed it. That coaster is a large factor in my childhood. In fact, I think there are few people who grew up in North or South Carolina who can't say that. Sometimes those wooden coaster are the best.

(I can't believe you trusted Jason when he said it's just one hill. tsk tsk tsk)

Hopefully, we can go with you one day this summer. I know Athena would love seeing Dora if nothing else. And kudos for going on a Saturday. I recommend you try to go during the week whenever possible. It's far less crowded then.

Jason said...

Y'know, In actuality, it wasn't all that crowded. It was Joyfest, so there were a lot of church groups around, but it really wasn't anything like "state fair" crowded.

Since we got the season passes, we get preferred parking, so whenever we go, I'd recommend taking a picnic lunch and going back to the car to eat, rather than paying $5 for a slice of pizza.

Bern said...

I do not know if I'll be able to cope if it's "state fair" crowded. Can't wait to get my anxiety problems out of the way!

A Flea's Life said...

haha! looks like you need more doses of this to keep your panic attack at bay! happy anniversary cousin!
hugs